Thursday, March 27, 2008

India's Wedding District - Chandi Chauk

While visiting India over the last two weeks, I had a chance to walk through the wedding district of India, also known as Chandi Chauk. What intrigued me most about this section in addition the poverty level, is the fact that so much organization existed in such a chaotic place.

For those who do not know Chandi Chauk, let me give you a brief description. Think of a narrow lane stretched for miles immersed in the scent and sights of India. Chandi Chauk, is the happening place to find everything and anything for anyone whose planning his or her wedding--Indian style. On each side of this narrow lane, you can see store carved out in the very walls of buildings that seem to have emerged overnight. From the first to the last step, the eyes are always entertained (whether it may be from color or just the locals).

My experience in Chandi Chauk is a little different from a local seeking to buys goods for a wedding or upcoming party. My experience began by begin followed by local beggars and hagglers throughout the entire lane, until finally I had to abandon all thoughts of the wedding industry and flee for my very life. What little I gathered from this district of India is that even in such a chaotic place, order and organization can still exist. I was bewildered by the sight of Chandi Chauk. I never expected to see so much disorder in one place at one time. However, by some strange osmosis local buyers and merchants seems to function quite normally in this place. When I think wedding district I think a place where organization is keen and order is of the utmost importance. But, Chandi Chauk showed me how wrong my assumptions were.

Nevertheless, through all the disorder, I was able to gather the sense of organization the locals uses and what I would consider disorganization. When you enter Chandi Chauk, you see as well as smell the spices and herbs that locals use in their cooking. The spice section greets you with a most exotic smell and leaves your nose hungry for more. Moving through the spice section, you are next greeted by the food & meat section , followed by the household goods and necessity part of the lane. After passing this section you move in to the textile part of Chandi Chauk (the highlight of every brides dream), followed by the jewelery section (every brides fantasy). After leaving the jewelery section you are immersed in the shoes section of Chandi Chauk and finally you reach the end of Chandi Chauk--the end of chaos and the beginning of your wedding plans.

What I found most intriguing about this place is how easily one can get immerse in the the culture and sights. I also notice that prices were not only a steal but, can be brought down to mere cents compare to the wedding district of New York (Jackson Heights & Lefferts/Liberty). In New York, a typical Indian wedding outfit would cost you about $1000+ depending design and quality of the fabric but, in India something that cost you about $1000 would be sold at about $200 to $400 (something you can even barter to the point where something that is being sold for $400 American dollars can come out to be half of the asking price or less). Talk about cutting costs. I think any bride that's interest in a foreign wedding (especially an Indian wedding) should also invest some time and money in looking and buying from Chandi Chauk. There is really a great selection that is available for a fraction of the price.

Let me know, if you have any question or comments regard this posting.

No comments: